Your smile is one of the first things that people notice about you—so having a stained and yellow smile can sometimes be quite embarrassing! But fortunately, cosmetic dentistry can offer many solutions that are capable of effectively whitening discolored teeth. Keep reading to learn more from your cosmetic dentist about some of the different things that cause yellow teeth, along with some ways that the issue can be addressed.
What Causes Yellow Teeth?
There are many things that can cause your teeth to turn yellow, but some common factors include:
- Age – As you age, your enamel wears and becomes thinner, resulting in the yellow-colored dentin underneath becoming more visible.
- Diet – Certain foods and drinks like red wines, berries, coffee, and tea contain tannins, which are staining agents that can discolor your teeth.
- Smoking & tobacco – Smoking and using tobacco is notorious for causing all sorts of health problems, including stained teeth.
- Genetics – Sometimes you can inherit yellow teeth from your parents due to certain genetic conditions that affect your enamel.
- Excessive fluoride exposure – Fluoride is good for your teeth, but too much fluoride exposure can lead to fluorosis and discolor your teeth.
- Poor oral hygiene – This is one of the leading causes of stained teeth—simply not brushing and flossing can quickly turn your teeth yellow.
How Can I Whiten My Teeth?
Fortunately, there are many ways to whiten your teeth! Although it will depend on your individual circumstances, you can work with your dentist to achieve a brighter and whiter smile. Consider the following popular treatment options:
- In-office whitening – Carried out by your dentist in their office, they’ll use special tools and whitening agents to polish your teeth in a matter of minutes, easily removing any visible stains.
- Take-home whitening kits – Your dentist can also send you home with a kit containing custom-made trays and whitening gels that are better than anything you can get at the store. This allows you to conveniently whiten your teeth on your own schedule.
- Porcelain veneers – When teeth whitening isn’t able to do the trick, your dentist can turn to porcelain veneers to address staining and discoloration. They’ll bond thin sheets of dental porcelain to the outer surfaces of your teeth, immediately improving their appearance.
You don’t have to settle for a stained smile; solutions exist that can brighten your smile and in turn, your life. If you’re ready to do something about your stained and yellow teeth, speak with your dentist about their available whitening options.
About the Author
Dr. Scott Wehrkamp received his dental doctorate from the Loyola University Chicago School of Dentistry and has proudly served patients and families in the Brandon, SD area since 1981. Dr. Wehrkamp maintains active membership in several professional organizations including the American Dental Association, and he is an Accredited member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. His practice is pleased to offer many available services including cosmetic dentistry. If you have any questions about cosmetic dentistry or would like to schedule an appointment, you can contact Dr. Wehrkamp’s practice online or by phone: (605) 582-6522.